Catalyst Innovation Program
MSU is improving the digital learning experience for students. Incorporating digital strategies to support pedagogy can enhance students’ learning experiences and offer efficiencies in assessment and analysis. Many digital learning innovations impacting institutional initiatives at scale often start small. Innovations may spring from novel pedagogical approaches in individual courses, as collaborative experiments across disciplines, or the result of student feedback and needs analysis. We recognize the value of providing support and resources to change the student experience for the better. The Center for Teaching and Learning Innovation is committed to facilitating new ideas.
How to Apply
Catalyst Innovation Program (CIP) proposals are submitted through Qualtrics. Participants should plan to include a description of the innovation project and idea, implementation approach, evaluation and assessment plan, and budget. Link to application is provided below.
The Catalyst Innovation Program seeks to fund creative and innovative uses of tools, technology, and pedagogical approaches up to $10,000 for the purposes of allowing experimentation in spaces with the potential to enhance student learning experiences on a digitally-immersed, global campus. Please note that these funds are intended to fund software, technology, and/or services but are not able to support salary lines.
We are especially interested in proposals that include three or more of the following criteria:
- Demonstrates learning, conceptual understanding, or increased content knowledge
Inclusivity and Accessibility Criteria:
- Increase access, as defined as “providing the means for all qualified, motivated students to complete courses, degrees, or programs in their disciplines of choice" (Online Learning Consortium, n.d.). For example, reduced or zero cost to students beyond tuition, universally designed experiences, and the like
- Contribute to more equitable and inclusive digital learning experiences and environments
- Experiences that are universally designed and accessible
Feedback and Adaptivity Criteria:
- Increase formative feedback (assessment for learning)
- Provide learning analytics to educators to enable adaptive or personalized pedagogy
- Provide mechanisms for student input and collaboration
- Increase student engagement as defined by your discipline. For example as increased participation, collaboration, peer learning, and so on
- Preparing for Catalyst - Information Session: Wednesday, September 6, 2023 from 11:00-11:45am (register here)
- The Call for Proposals opens: Monday, September 11th, 2023
- Proposals are due: 5:00 pm EST, Wednesday, October 18th, 2023
- Awards will be announced: Tuesday, October 31st, 2023
- Once awarded, funding is available through June 30, 2024. Preference will be given towards projects that can spend award before the June 30th deadline.